Monday, February 2, 2009

Challenge and WIPS

Two days I spent stitching this little piece for a challenge at bbinteractive. This is the Winter Pantry designed by Brooke Nolan, it's a series exclusively made for the group. I did the Summer Pantry, but the Autumn one is still on my to-do-pile, I skipped it because didn't want to miss this challenge.


My personal addition was the crochet, also substituted a few things: the stitched tea pot for a button one, two flowers are now snowflake buttons, added a few beads and changed a cat for the mittens (they are so cute that couldn't help adding them to the piece).

This is the upper shelf:


The snowman should have stitched buttons, I used micro buttons instead, as the cup, a heart button as well... One thing that was difficult to do was the tiny scarf and pink-green quilt, both are crocheted, had to do it with a size 7 steel hook. The border is made on half cross stitched and at the corners there are pearls instead of xs. It's can't be tell on the picture, but one of the quilts is an actual piece of fabric.

The lower shelf:


Oh! I forgot, instead of cross stitching the lace I used a real one, courtesy of Sue and it was all stitched onto navy blue aida, present from Michelle.

On the WIPS I finally opened a printed cross stitch kit, the "Home for all Seasons" by Dimensions. I made a small progress over three hours work (well, that included reading the instructions and sorting the floss from bundle number 1). So far I don't think it's hard, actually I'm liking it! I'm using the hidden method, but there are tiny specs of red showing on the other side lol I'll leaveit like it, gives character to the piece.


Finally, I've been wanting to crochet a lapghan since a long time ago, to leave it on the stitching room. I decided to do something without a pattern, something like a sampler in bright colors. It will have 20 cm squares, for the whole piece I'll be needing 30 squares (6 rows of 5). Alexandra, from school, she works at the Library, is crocheting along with me. I'm so happy to be able to do it with someone, it's a way to keep the work up, I'm sure that will make us finish faster!

The classic granny:

This one still needs a few more rows (the other color will be orange!), but I like how it's looking so far:


Hope you like the new face of my blog, it's inspired on upcoming Valentine. Happy stitching!

5 comments:

Annie said...

Love your new rainbow pastel background.

So many good ideas on the Brooke piece! That one is definitely challenge-worthy. Those are going to make the cutest 4-season set.

And you have really been multi-tasking. Keeps it interesting, doesn't it?

Ranae said...

Love what you did with Winter Pantry. I love to crochet granny squares.

Sandra Nathalia said...

Tocayitaaaa..... yo estaba pensando en remplazar el gato por otra cosita... pero no se me ocurria que!!! y ahora que te veo tu idea...me dan ganas de copiarme...jijiji...
ojala pueda participar esta vez en el challenge... pues me fascinan!!!

sigue asi de juiciosita... te ha quedado hermoso el pantry de invierno!!!

Lelia said...

Your pantry shelves are fantastic! I don't crochet - your squares look great : )

Enjoy the day

Clara said...

I love your Winter Pantry, and all the neat things you added to it, it is beautiful!